A destination wedding is an opportunity for couples to celebrate their marriage at a gorgeous destination of their choosing away from home. Our couples get married all over the world, in stunning locales like the Caribbean, Mexico, Costa Rica and Hawaii. Destination weddings can be intimate (just the two of you), limited to close family and friends, or a grand affair with hundreds of guests. Learn more about destination weddings here
Destination weddings involve getting married somewhere far from where you live. Here’s how it works:
- Couples will work with an expert/specialist to help them select the right resort, venue and wedding package based on their preferences and budget.
- An all-inclusive destination wedding package comes with everything you need for the big day and more – think ceremony and reception setup, decor options, flower arrangements, an officiant, wedding cake, DJ services, etc.!
- The Specialist will then help confirm the wedding date and secure a group room block for accommodations.
- The couple will invite their closest friends and family to attend their celebration (destination weddings typically have smaller guest lists than traditional weddings).
- The couple and their guests will book their travel arrangements through their Specialist.
- The couple may choose to plan a group activity or excursion as well, in which case, their Specialist can assist with that booking process as well.
- The couple will work with their onsite event coordinator to finalize the day-of details (decor, timeline, amenities, etc.).
- The Specialist will send all applicable travel documents to the couple and their guests to ensure a smooth process.
- Finally, all you’ll have to do is say “I do” in paradise!
Learn more about how destination weddings work here
Planning a destination wedding is usually less stressful and more fun than planning a traditional wedding near your home. Here are the recommended steps to take:
- Draft an initial budget and guest list
- Start researching destinations and resorts you may be interested in
- Contact a Certified Destination Wedding Specialist to help guide you through each option and provide you with quotes
- Select a venue and wedding package
- Confirm your wedding date with the onsite event coordinator
- Secure a group room block through your Specialist
- Invite your friends and family to the celebration
- Book your travel arrangements through your Specialist
- Finalize the details with your onsite wedding coordinator (decor, hair and makeup, etc.)
- Pack up, relax and say “I do” in paradise!
Click here to learn more about planning a destination wedding.
Our couples spent an average of $9,850 on their destination weddings in 2023. The overall cost of a destination wedding varies based on a number of factors, including:
- Where you want to go
- Where you’re flying from
- How many guests will attend
- How lavish you want your package to be
- What time of year you want to get married
- And much more…
Click here to learn more about how much destination weddings cost.
Yes, a destination wedding is typically cheaper than a traditional wedding at home, especially if you choose to get married at an all-inclusive venue. On average, our couples spend less than $10,000 on their destination weddings in Mexico or the Caribbean. This includes their accommodations, meals, drinks, wedding package and estimated airfare.
Click here for some of our best destination wedding cost-saving tips.
No, a major benefit of working with us is that you (and your guests) won’t have to pay for your final package price upfront. We offer two Pay As You Go options – one directly with us and one via Affirm, should you need additional time to pay off your remaining balance beyond your final payment due date.
In order to get the best prices on your accommodations, airfare and wedding package, we recommend planning early and looking for exclusive deals through your Certified Destination Wedding Specialist. Booking a group room block allows you to secure one fixed price for your accommodations, so you won’t have to worry about increased costs as your guests begin to book their travel arrangements. If you ever find a lower price elsewhere, simply request a price match (with screenshots) and we’ll do our very best to beat it!
Some of the benefits of having a destination wedding vs. a traditional wedding include:
- Cost savings: overall, destination weddings are more affordable than at-home celebrations.
- More time with loved ones: destination weddings are typically 3-4 (or more) nights long of celebrating, allowing you to have more time with your loved ones.
- Built-in vacation and honeymoon: you’ll get more bang for your buck by combining your honeymoon trip with your wedding celebration.
- Unique experience: rest assured, your destination wedding celebration will be more unique than a typical country club wedding would ever be!
When deciding whether or not a destination wedding is the right choice for you, ask yourself the following questions:
- Where do I envision getting married? If your answer is a beautiful, exotic setting with a picturesque backdrop and built-in vacation, then a destination wedding would be a fantastic option for you.
- Who do I want to attend my wedding? Destination weddings typically have smaller guest lists, but only the couples’ nearest and dearest friends/family make the cut.
- Do I want an extra memorable wedding experience? Destination weddings provide a very unique experience for the couple and their guests, with a built-in vacation being the most alluring aspect.
- What’s my wedding budget? All-inclusive destination weddings tend to be far less expensive than a traditional wedding in the United States or Europe.
- The answers to these questions will help you decide if a destination wedding is right for you!
Yes, you will work with two key players throughout your destination wedding planning process:
- Your Certified Destination Wedding Specialist will assist with selecting the perfect resort, venue and wedding package for your celebration, and then take care of all of the travel arrangements for you and your guests, including accommodations, transportation and excursions.
- Your onsite wedding coordinator is stationed at your resort (and often included in the cost of your wedding package at an all-inclusive resort). They will take care of everything on property, from your check-in experience to your ceremony decor, day-of timeline, hair and makeup appointments, etc.
We recommend starting to plan your destination wedding at least 10-12 months in advance. Some couples start the planning process 18-20 months before their ideal wedding date, while others have shorter engagements and plan everything within 6-8 months. We can assist with both short and long engagement timelines. Simply contact us today to get started!
DestinationWeddings.com is the world's leading destination wedding travel agency. We are headquartered just west of Boston in Wayland, Massachusetts with international corporate offices in Canada and the UK. We have been planning destination weddings for over a decade and have planned nearly 30,000 successful romantic celebrations. We have over 200 Certified Destination Wedding Specialists in the U.S. and Canada who have award-winning experience planning dream destination weddings, honeymoons, anniversaries and vow renewals. We welcome you to meet our corporate team and expert Specialists!
Our Certified Destination Wedding Specialists are hand-selected from the best in the industry, based on their extensive experience and knowledge in planning destination weddings (some have been in the industry for over 25+ years)! They are with couples from the beginning stages of the planning process to welcoming them home as newlyweds. All of our Certified Destination Wedding Specialists are familiar with the destinations and resorts they recommend to couples and stay up-to-date on the latest destination wedding trends.
We’re proud to work closely with some of the very best all-inclusive resorts throughout Mexico and the Caribbean. Our Preferred Partner Collection is comprised of award-winning resort venues that specialize in destination weddings, so rest assured, you’re in good hands.
We’re happy to provide 100% complimentary planning services. That’s right, you don’t have to pay a service fee to work with our Specialists. You’ll just have to pay for your chosen accommodations, airfare and wedding package.
We have successfully planned nearly 30,000 amazing destination weddings and arranged travel for over 500,000 guests. Our Certified Destination Wedding Specialists (all 200 +) have years of experience planning destination weddings and frequently visit the locations they recommend to their couples. They will work with you from the start of your engagement to the minute you say I do (including emergency after-hours service during travel time), to help you choose and book the perfect destination and coordinate with the on-site wedding planner. Best of all, our services are completely free.
As an industry leader in romance travel, we have extensive connections with hundreds of hotels and destination wedding resorts around the world, meaning we ensure you get the best price and top-notch amenities. Our services include a wedding website where couples can tell their guests about their celebration and communicate with them before the big day. We also offer complimentary email save-the-dates, personalized to your wedding theme and taste! Check out even more reasons to choose us!